The team behind Escape to Freight Island has announced that Kantina - an amazing food and drink weekender - is making a return. There’s going to be an incredible line-up where nationally acclaimed guest chefs, restaurants and bars pair up with Escape to Freight Island’s existing traders to create one-off collaborations.
Kantina will take place from Friday 10th until Sunday 12th June 2022 at Depot Mayfield,
And the first line-up has been revealed – with more names and collaborations to follow.
So, who’s working with who?
· Brad Carter’s One Star Döner Bar (read about that HERE) will partner with renowned Birmingham food consultant Lap-fai Lee and Michelin-starred chef Tom Brown who founded Cornerstone in London.
· Mary-Ellen McTague from The Creameries in Chorlton (read more HERE) will pair with one of Sheffield’s finest, Bench founders Ronnie Aronica and Jack Wakelin.
· Famous for her South-East Asian cookery, Pippa Middlehurst ‘Pippy Eats’ returns to Kantina for a follow-up collaboration with Mi & Pho.
· The brand-new deep fried and charcoal grilled chicken trader, Lucky Foot, will pair up with Budgie Montoya who has been championing Filipino cuisine in his Sarap restaurant in London.
· The upscaled tacos from Madre (more about them HERE) will be teamed up with AngloThai’s co-founder and head chef John Chantarasak.
· The brilliant new collaboration concept at Escape to Freight Island, Carnival, will be headed by award-winning chef, butcher, restauranteur and food writer Richard Turner (ex-Hawksmoor). (Read more about that must visit experience HERE.)
· Plus, an exciting collaboration where Kantina will present ‘Sous Do Ray’s’ with sous chefs from some of the most celebrated restaurants in the country coming up with their own take on Voodoo Ray’s pizzas.
· A very special and limited supper club will be presented by Luke French, head chef and owner at the acclaimed JÖRO in Sheffield, which holds 3 AA Rosettes and Michelin Guide 2021 Recommended. JÖRO is known for combining local produce with Asian influences, with Luke French renowned as part of a new generation of modern British chefs who is pushing culinary boundaries.
· Furthermore, another exclusive collaboration will see the prestigious Soho House taking over and curating Escape to Freight Island’s bar in the sky at The Jane Eyre. Plus, Pomona Island taproom and natural wine bar by Jack Wakelin.
· For those with sweet tooths, a selection from Happy Endings, famous for their ice cream sandwiches will be available alongside offerings from Gooey and Batard.
In true Escape to Freight Island style, the venue will host a vibrant roster of accompanying entertainment, from live performances to DJs, satellite events and more throughout the weekend.
* UPDATE * Kantina 2022 is free entry. For one weekend only, guests at Escape to Freight Island will get to have one-off and unique dishes from these amazing chefs’ collaborations.
Further information and free table reservation is available at www.kantinaweekender.com
Kantina will be hosted at Escape to Freight Island on Friday 10th June (from 4pm until 1am), Saturday 11th June (from 12pm until 1am) and Sunday 12th June (from 12pm until 9pm).